Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Reason for the Season?

We all know Christmas has become a commercialized, excuse for a party and eating more food, and the opportunity for kids and grown-ups alike to get all their 'wants' on sale. As you grow up the excitement of presents on that morning fades a bit and we develop new perspectives. Don't get me wrong, presents are always exciting, especially when they're what you actually wanted. However is this really the goal for the day? In a conversation regarding Christmas plans with someone the other day, it was mentioned part of her family would be having Christmas dinner 2 weeks early. During the conversation, though, she remarked that she didn't know what the point was in getting together anyway because no one buys presents anymore, at least not for anyone but the youngest child in the family... So there's no point in getting together if there's no presents? That made me so sad. I admit as a kid the presents were always pretty cool and my parents were great in what they provided my brother and myself. A few specific presents stick out in my mind as being 'super cool' but what do I remember most? I remember reading the Christmas story every year and as I got older it was my turn to try to pronounce all those hard names myself. haha I remember time with my parents and brother eating breakfast and watching the parade. And I remember being SO excited to go to my god-parents for dinner.

I think there are always more thing we can do in order to not lose sight of the 'true reason for the season' (a saying which itself is over-used) and these are very personal choices. I do feel as though I grew up with the perspective of Christmas being a time to be thankful, joyful, and celebrate with family the blessings of our Lord and take a sometimes too rare opportunity to fellowship with other believers. As an adult I am trying to re-evaluate and determine which of these perspectives may not be in the right direction or what area I may need to add more focus in order to ensure I myself do not get lost in what becomes holiday chaos. I'll let you know how that goes...

2 comments:

Greg and Jen said...

I don't remember most of what I have gotten over the years..... but what I DO remember is all of our traditions and the things we do together as a family. THAT means the most to me. Christmas will be a sad time for me the older I get and the less people that are there. Family time and traditions (and Jesus!) means more to me than presents. I totally agree with you there, Jess.

~ Jen

Clare said...

Isn't it great to be all grown up and really focus on something besides the gifts? Joel and I agreed to not exchange gifts this year and in some ways not worrying over buying the "perfect" present has allowed me a lot of time to enjoy other aspects of the holiday. (I did have to send him a box, but it was a lot less than he usually gets-I couldn't leave him with nothing all the way in Iraq!) Isn't it sort of silly how we often end up exchanging money and not really making anyone happy? I think it is great that we all are focused on the real meaning of Christmas- Christ, who gives us the opportunity to rejoice in the blessing of family and friends.