Friday, September 18, 2009

It's a long road...and then it turns.

Well, here we are. I (Jon) start with the KCPD on Monday, I've left what was the longest tenured job I've ever had (Men's Wearhouse), and left it all in God's control. I still have to do a lot of work; but I think I've prepared as well as I can. Sure, I could've done a lot more running than I did, but I guess we'll see how much that comes back to bite me in the butt. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to pay my first month's insurance premiums- they make us pay a month in advance- so that will definitely be interesting. Had to buy my beautiful, fashionable, black boots...talk about a change. I go from picking my shirt, tie, and suit every day to a choice of blue, blue, or hey, if I'm lucky...blue! I guess being at the apex of fashion isn't a big concern when you're busting baddies or saving babies. From all reports, the academy's going to be a para-military setting, so I'd better get used to getting yelled at from time to time. My biggest problem will be not laughing while some large man is screaming at the guy next to me. I'd rather laugh than cry, I guess.
So, why? Why turn away what was basically a cake job that paid ok for something that is infinitely more challenging, but doesn't pay that much better? Simple, really. I can come home after a long day, be exhausted, and know that my energy was actually spent on something worthwhile. I get to know that a child might just have a better future because I helped put the drug dealer next door behind bars. But there's always another one. Always another drunk driver, always another shooter, always another druggie trying to make his living off the sorrow and death of other people. That's why we're out there. Because for every scumbag, there are 50 people busting their butts to provide for their children. There are students in colleges all over the country who are quite literally defenseless against any maniac who may want to come onto their "gun free" campus and start shooting. I can't protect them from my chair. I'd like to have a utopian worldview- to hold the belief that people are good, that the world is right, that we will all eventually be communists with no greed, no hunger, and no possessions- but that is simply not a realistic pattern of thought. Not so long as the Bible is accurate...which means forever. As long as people are born into sin, and have that predisposition, there will always be heinous, evil acts done to people who don't deserve them.
I was too comfortable to join the military- too happy with living in my house, in my borders, in my little bubble. This is my attempt to make up for that- to do what I believe is every man's responsibility, to protect and provide for those he loves. That doesn't mean pinning on a badge, or becoming a marine, or putting on a cape and mask and jumping off rooftops- at least, that's not what it means for everyone. It means making sure that you are doing your best to ensure that those around you have every opportunity they deserve to live, and to be free. My dad said often, "The only thing society owes you is an opportunity." So I have finally begun to realize mine.
In other news, Jess will begin her new job at Truman Med center on October...12th, I think. She'll be admitting patients into the ER...yay! 3 12-hour shifts will be different, but I'm sure the off days will be nice as well. While I'm going from 7-4 5 days a week, she'll have time to take care of the dog, or whatever else needs to be done, and I'll have plenty of time to study...while we still get to actually see each other. Life's beginning to turn; it's taken awhile, but with God's grace, we held on. Now we need to slap ourselves for doubting as much as we did.

No comments: